I teamed up with Foxhollow Farm to create this delicious Keto Beef Shepherd’s Pie. Foxhollow Farm is a biodynamic cattle farm located in my home state, Kentucky! They raise their cattle humanely and sustainably, without added hormones, antibiotics and steroids. Their beef is 100% grassfed and they deliver right to your door. They even have a Keto Box ! Use code KETOISLIFE for $30 off the first month of a subscription.
Traditional shepherd’s pie uses ground lamb but I grew up eating it with gound beef. Caulimash is a wonderful alternative to the potatoes normally found in shepherd’s pie recipes. Hope you enjoy this comforting dish!
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets frozen
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream more as needed
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- chives optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat oil in medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms, stir to coat them with oil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are tender and the onion starts to caramelize. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add bacon and ground beef to the skillet crumbling it as it cooks. Continue cooking until the beef is no longer pink. Add wine, worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and pepper to the beef mixture. Simmer until the liquid starts to cook down and the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Cook cauliflower according to package directions. Drain the excess liquid. Place cauliflower in a food processor or high speed blender. Add butter and cream and pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread mashed cauliflower evenly over beef mixture and top with cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Garnish with chives and enjoy!